From: John Barry <northbaylines@...>
To: Shake-N-Take <shake-n-take@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020, 12:25:31 AM EDT
Subject: Bx-34 Underframes and Greg Martin

Please join me in pulling for Greg's recovery from Covid complications.  Several of us are Facebook friends with Greg and are grateful for the updates that his sister has been posting there.  He had been making progress over the last week but has suffered a set back in the last couple days, redeveloping pneumonia.  Please pray for his recovery, but also pray for his medical team that they may be safe and have the insight to select the best treatment for him.

That's the mixed news on the medical front.

Good news on the Bx-34 underframes, I have received all of the parts they still had in stock.  The bad news is there were only 13, leaving us seven short.  Greg was developing a casting master to make up the difference before he became ill.  That's obviously not going to happen for the foreseeable future.  What to do to honor our commitment?

Well, I have found another source of Athearn 50' ice bunker reefer underframes: Athearn 50' ice bunker reefers, some disassembly required.  I've purchased seven of them to make up for the rest of the underframes.  These come with bonus parts that you may find useful in your build like the brake gear, bracket grabs and National B1 trucks.  I don't yet have these RTD (ready to disassemble) models, but should have them in the next week or so.

Which brings me to our next issue.  I don't know who got the kits at Cocoa, nor do I know which of you who got kits did get underframes.  I also don't know who got which decals.  When I was told that the underframes were on the way, I spoke with Greg and asked for the list of participants.  Unfortunately, Covid intervened.  Watching Greg struggle confirms my personal risk assessment that with my age and underlying conditions, I can't afford to catch this, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out to mail the missing parts.  That said, we now have enough parts on hand or on the way to cover the other 20 kits.

What I need from all of you who got a kit at CCB is an email to NorthBayLines@...

Please make the Subject

SnT2020 Participant

That will allow me to filter the responses to build the list.  Please only send one email with that subject.  I will send you confirmation with a different subject line.

In the body of the email please copy and past the following and fill in the blanks:

Name: __________
Last three of car number on decal _____
Underframe received? Yes or No

If no, please provide your shipping address.
Also indicate if you would accept or prefer one of the RFD cars to make your underframe.  I will prioritize those whose cars need National B1 trucks if there are too many requests.

Once I have the list of participants I will get these out to all of you, likely by Priority Mail flat rate box as I can get the postman to schedule a pickup.

I still have about a dozen extra decal sets available at $5 each.
I also purchased some of the brake rigging sets for my own use when I bought the rest of the underframes.  If you are interested, I can add that to your underframe package for $7.00.

In summary, please send one and only one email with the requested subject line as it is set to automatically go to a folder where I can get the list together.  Please  include the requested information and I will get the parts out to you all.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights