Shenandoah Valley 40' steel box car

Andy Carlson

Garth-
This car you pictured seems to have maybe been a 8-9 foot door car converted to a single 6' door car. Look at the L side has 6 panels while the right side has 7. The lower door track extends out further than the top, perhaps when shortening the door tracks going to the next track support bracket was felt necessary.

Another possibility is that the car was a door and a half car, converted to a 6' single door car with some panel additions/relocations necessitated?
thanks for the picture.
-Andy Carlson   Ojai CA

Andy,

Are you thinking of something like this? Shenandoah Valley MW boxcar, still in service out of Staunton, Virginia.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 2:27 PM Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:
Folks-
There are about three of these cars preserved at Southern California's Orange Empire Trolley Museum. Still in Navy grey colors.

About 12 years ago Dan Smith and I saw some Navy 40' box cars out near Inyokern (Not too far from Ridgecrest) which had characteristics of both X29 and '37 AAR designs. I have never seen anything like this before and none since.
-Andy