Re: Wabash 10 panel steel gondola

Rob Adams

Andy;

    Based on data in Wabash equipment inventory documents and a stenciling diagram, cars 13500-13749 were built during mid to late 1944, and 13750-14849 were added during 1945-46.  All were apparently built at the Wabash Shops in Decatur, IL.  These cars inherited trucks from retired cars and so some had Andrews trucks and some had AAR/Bettendorf type.

    I have an excellent side view of WAB 13963 taken in March, 1957 at San Diego, CA from Bob's Photo collection.  This car has Andrews trucks.   Drop me a line if you would like a scan to aid your modeling efforts.

Kind regards,

Rob Adams

On 4/19/20 9:48 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:
I have but a single picture of a large class (over 1300 in 1953) of 40' steel gondolas rostered by the Wabash RR.

The picture credits list this scene at a 1954 PRR wreck.

I am hoping that someone on this list can inform me as to what year were these solid floor gondolas were built.

As always,
Thanks in advance.
-Andy Carlson    Ojai CA

--