Re: Walthers 40' gon

Steven D Johnson

Hugh,

According to the Walthers item number you provided, the kit you have is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Walthers-933-6859-Undecorated-40-039-Gondola-Kit-/233539963738?hash=item3660110b5a%3Ag%3ACNQAAOSwTYFefRcq&nma=true&si=00KqBGaBxMinvCDUfvPmhMPgVTI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It’s a model of a USRA WW I-era composite drop-bottom gondola with numerous prototypes. InterMountain produces a better-detailed model in HO.

I’ll let the other guys chime in with more, but also found these on-line:

https://mrr.trains.com/-/media/import/files/pdf/7/5/f/transition-era_gondolas.pdf

and

 U.S.R.A. Composite Gondola
Prototype Modeler, August 1979 page 39
( GONDOLA, "HENDRICKSON, RICHARD", USRA, FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE, PMM )

USRA Composite Gondola: 50-ton drop-bottom car
Mainline Modeler, July/August 1981 page 18
Article also published in The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 , page 23
( C&O, CB&Q, DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", L&N, "LANE, JAMES E.", MP, NYC,
SR, USRA, FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE, MM )

USRA Composite Gondola: Construction in HO scale
Mainline Modeler, September/October 1981 page 20
Article also published in The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 , page 30
( DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", SCRATCHBUILD, USRA, CONSTRUCTION, FREIGHTCAR,
PROTOTYPE, HO, MM )

USRA Composite Gondola: 50-ton drop-bottom car
The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 page 23
Article also published in Mainline Modeler, July/August 1981, page 18
( C&O, CB&Q, DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", L&N, "LANE, JAMES E.", MP, NYC,
SR, USRA, FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE )

USRA Composite Gondola: Construction in HO scale
The Best of Mainline Modeler's Freight Cars Volume 3 page 30
Article also published in Mainline Modeler, September/October 1981, page 20
( DRAWING, GONDOLA, "HUNDMAN, ROBERT L.", SCRATCHBUILD, USRA, CONSTRUCTION,
FREIGHTCAR, PROTOTYPE )

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN