Re: Barriger Library AC&F Photos

Charles Peck

Our friend Garth posted an interesting photo along with the suggestion it might
have been a trailer for a motor car of some sort.  I see that as a good possibility but
here is another suggestion. I do not know anything about the Pond Fork & Bald Knob
nut being in West Virginia, it might have been a logging road like the Cass.
It seems to me that loggers were among the last to use link and pin couplers.  Thus this
might have carried logging tools to and from the work areas.
Just a guess.
Chuck Peck

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 4:22 PM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:
Friends,

While wandering through the AC&F photos, I came upon a four-wheeled "boxcar", Pond Fork & Bald Knob Railroad Co. 3. The PF&BK was a West Virginia shortline built circa 1926, which almost immediately became the C&O's Pond Fork branch. So what was this car for? Obviously with a link-and-pin coupler and no air brakes (the rather pathetic manual brakes are worked by the crank seen just beyond the coupler) it wasn't an interchange freight car. My conclusion is that this isn't a boxcar at all, but more likely a baggage trailer for a small self-propelled motor car, something like a Mack Model-B railbus.

The similarity to double-door box vans owned by the English narrow-gauge Lynton & Barnstable was not lost on me.  😉

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 9:02 AM David via groups.io <jaydeet2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
After taking a break for a year or so, some early-1940s AC&F builder's
photos have been added to the Flickr page, including several USG-A
4-course tanks.

SHPX 17520:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/49619124151/in/album-72157649155982802/

USQX 11200 :