Re: Photo: PRR Boxcar

Bob Chaparro

Actually, I have had very good responses from the several photo archives I have worked with.
These include USC, County of Los Angeles Library, City of Los Angeles Library and several Southern California historical societies.
The organizations I have found very non-responsive are smaller museums around the country, and that probably is a staffing issue as Garth noted. I am a member of the Board of the Hemet Heritage Foundation, which operates the Hemet Museum in the old Santa Fe Depot. Staffing certainly is an issue for us as we are an all volunteer organization.
I also have had some good luck correcting misleading or erroneous narratives published by various historical societies. But sometimes not. I found a horribly wrong narrative on-line published by a historical society in the California Central Valley. The narrative concerned the citrus industry and the transportation of oranges, something I do have a little knowledge of. It was so out of wack I could not suggest edits so I suggested to the organization's president that the whole article be pulled. His response was, "We are aware the Mrs. ______ sometimes is inaccurate in her writings but she is the town's historian and prominent local figure so no one wants to upset her".
I wonder how often that is the case?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA