Re: Photo: PRR Boxcar

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 02:13 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
I have tried a couple of times to correct misinformation and been ignored. I suspect they didn't know me from Adam, and didn't want to take the time verifying my corrections.
You've hit the nail on the head. The libraries that hold these images really know very little about them, and cataloging is typically work for interns. The caption is really just a description for the catalog, and should only be a general description of what the image shows, plus any information that was written on the print or negative... and that's where the problem comes in... if someone has written erroneous information on the photo, it is treated as primary source information. The person writing the descriptions really isn't competent to make a judgement. The descriptions aren't intended to educate, but simply allow the image to be found by scholars (and authors) who can then include it in a better researched work. The danger in allowing the description to be changed is that some of the primary source data may be lost and replaced with information that is also erroneous. Trying to get an institution to change a catalog description is like trying to correct erroneous information on the internet.  There are better uses for one's time.

Dennis Storzek