Re: Evemodel HO flat cars

Douglas Harding

IIRC The saying came about because the car would hold 40 men or 8 horses. Useful information for the military planners needing to move men and materials.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kai Solvei
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 12:24 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Evemodel HO flat cars

I couldn’t find that car, but old Norwegian boxcars used by the military (collapsible benches) had the marking “40 men or 8 horses” like this car built in 1899 and in traffic until 1960.
https://njk.no/kroderbanen-rullende-materiell/godsvogner/75-rullende-materiell/materiellpresentasjon-godsvogner/4769-g2-8121

By US standard a tiny car, 24 feet over the buffers, and would probably fit inside a US 40ft boxcar 😊

Kai Solvei

Norway

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of pgrace via groups.io
Sent: torsdag 23. april 2020 18:07
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Evemodel HO flat cars

Looking at their other cars, they appear to be European in prototype, there is a small 4 wheel box car in Norwegian livery which is somewhat odd!. ( I am not sure that the Norwegians marked their cars "40 men and 8 horses" as well)

The brake gear under the cars also looks odd and I wonder if the models are of a European or Chinese flat car.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.