Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Tim O'Connor

Here's one in 1962

On 4/25/2020 10:38 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Don,

D&H had 10 50-foot double-door boxcars in series 25000-25009. These were ex-PRR cars. I don't know when the D&H bought them, but they are in my October 1958 ORER. They had special racks for automobile radiators, in other words, in auto parts service. One is preserved on the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley. My photo was taken in the early 1990s when the museum equipment was stored in Oneonta.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff 🦆

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 8:56 AM Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
     With Todd having raised questions about the Santa Fe's 50 ft. Auto/Furniture cars I'd like to raise some
further questions. When I was in high school I used to keep a record of the reporting marks and car numbers
of none home road cars I saw at various points within New England and now wish they had been saved. The
specific reason for this today is that I do not remember seeing that many 50 ft.cars of any type in Northern
New England. Logically it would seem that automobiles being delivered to dealerships in smaller towns in the
region could have come in either 40 or 50 Auto cars. That said it would also seem that the 50 ft. auto cars
used wo;d have been from roads like the GTW, NYC, Erie and possibly a few LV cars. Did the PM, DT&I,
AA or Wabash even roster such cars? The PM had some 50 ft. cars but they were largeky restricted for
the PM"s Canadian lines having been constructed in Canada.The DT&I had over 200 50 ft. auto cars some
of which were set up to handle auto parts and could have gone to the Ford Assembly plant in Somerville or
the GMC plant in Framingham, MA  but I don't know that for certain. I have fnd n record for the AA having any
50 ft. box cars while the Wabash had some 150 auto cars or 50 ft. in length 25 of which were even equipped
with end doors but Wabash cars in my experience were a rare  car in Northern New England. Can anyone
speak definitively about this? If cars from other roads of this specific design were to be found in the region
what is a likely cargo for them? I realize there were some 50 ft. cars of lumber received from the Pacific
Northwest but the only 50 ft. cars I remember in this service were No. Pac. cars purchased 2nd hand of the
Pennsy's round roof variety, the last such car I saw having been in Arlington, Mass. in 1972, 25 years after the
period I model. It would seem that Sou. Pac. or UP cars of this type might be a possibility with lumber out of
Oregon but I can't think what a Santa Fe car, for example, might have carried. Who might have some thoughts
for loads in cars of this type from Western roads?

My est, Don Valentine

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts