Re: Santa Fe Fe-24 and Fe-28 photos

Jim Gates

The originally passenger equipped cars were 10000 to 10199. The 100 that were converted were 10200 to 10299. These were renumber 4100 to 4399. Most of these kept there passenger equipment until the end of passenger service. 10338 was never passenger equipped. It is one of the cars that ended up with a swapped set of Allied Full Cushion trucks. 10326 did also, probably quite a few more.

The other photos Tim sent were either builder's photos are at delivery. I agree that the steam hoses do not appear to be installed. The same can be said for the builder's photos in Richard's book. It is possible these items were not installed until after delivery. In service photos do show the steam lines.

Jim Gates
On Saturday, April 25, 2020, 12:45:13 PM CDT, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

The photo of AT 10338 clearly shows a shop date of 11-46 (Topeka).  Conjecturing, this one could have been moved to freight service, repainted and had the steam and signal lines removed.  The other three photos show cars as new, the picture filename says 1941.  Conjecturing again, they could have had the steam and signal lines installed at Topeka after receipt.  Tom Birkett's observations match with this conjecture.

My Santa Fe freight car books have moved, but I have not, so I have no other data points to contribute.

Ron Merrick