Re: boxcars can be lined up on two tracks

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:39 AM, Michael Aufderheide wrote:
Most flat roofs of that era and later in the Midwest are "tar paper".  More accurately; roofing felts tarred over in several layers.  I have crawled over many and on hot days, had the gooey tar on as many pairs of shoes.  The felts do not have a granulated top coat, just goo.
Often called a "mopped roof" because the hot tar (or asphalt) is applied with a mop. That's what the near end closest to the camera looks like. However, further away, each 3' x 33' strip is a slightly different color. I suspect they had a roof leak and sent somebody up there to patch it with a few rolls of 'roll roofing' which is the proper name for the rolls with the granuals on it.

Dennis Storzek