Re: boxcars can be lined up on two tracks

Ted Schnepf

Hello All,

Galewood was a majorLCL freight house on the Milwaukee Rd, in the city of Chicago. There were actually two freight houses with 5 tracks between them and then to the north another three loading tracks. Each house was about 2000 ft long. About 400 cars at max capacity. Knew a trainmaster and he told me each day starting at 5PM, two crews switched the houses for the next 12 hours. there were span plates across all five tracks. There are also photos showing reefers being loaded with LCL at this house.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

On Apr 25, 2020, at 3:07 PM, James SANDIFER <steve.sandifer@...> wrote:

The photo is entitled: GalewoodIL MilwaukeeRd 1943. I think it is from the US Government collection.

J. Stephen Sandifer