Re: Kingan packing

Douglas Harding

Brian most meat heading to NYC westside traveled via the Erie. If that helps.

Here is what I have for Kingan locations, it is not complete.

State

City

City

Plant

Branch

Alabama

Dothan

Kingan and Company

DC?

Washington

Florida

Tampa

Florida

Jacksonville

Georgia

Atlanta

Indiana

Indianapolis

Kingan and Company

Iowa

Storm Lake

Kingan and Company

Kansas

Kansas City

later Cudady on the site

Maryland

Baltimore

Nebraska

Omaha

Kingan and Company

Pennsylvania

Philidelphia

South Carolina

Orangeburg

Kingan and Company

Virginia

Richmond

Kingan and Company

Virginia

Norfolk

In 1939 there were three slaughter plants and eleven branch houses. But I do not have the locations of those branch houses. As most meat from the Midwest was shipped, I would guess those branch houses were all located in the east.

Here is something that may be of interest: a USDA listing of Refrigerated Warehouses in the US in 1947. The list includes warehouses owned by meat packers, fruit companies, ice companies and many others.  https://downloads.usda.library.cornell.edu/usda-esmis/files/db78tc02w/fq977z57x/8s45qc92k/DireRefrWa-06-00-1947.pdf

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org