Re: Kingan packing

Douglas Harding

Brian most meat heading to NYC westside traveled via the Erie. If that helps.

Here is what I have for Kingan locations, it is not complete.

State

City

City

Plant

Branch

Alabama

Dothan

Kingan and Company

DC?

Washington

Florida

Tampa

Florida

Jacksonville

Georgia

Atlanta

Indiana

Indianapolis

Kingan and Company

Iowa

Storm Lake

Kingan and Company

Kansas

Kansas City

later Cudady on the site

Maryland

Baltimore

Nebraska

Omaha

Kingan and Company

Pennsylvania

Philidelphia

South Carolina

Orangeburg

Kingan and Company

Virginia

Richmond

Kingan and Company

Virginia

Norfolk

In 1939 there were three slaughter plants and eleven branch houses. But I do not have the locations of those branch houses. As most meat from the Midwest was shipped, I would guess those branch houses were all located in the east.

Here is something that may be of interest: a USDA listing of Refrigerated Warehouses in the US in 1947. The list includes warehouses owned by meat packers, fruit companies, ice companies and many others.  https://downloads.usda.library.cornell.edu/usda-esmis/files/db78tc02w/fq977z57x/8s45qc92k/DireRefrWa-06-00-1947.pdf

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Carlson via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 4:25 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Kingan packing

My question really is where were kingan products being distributed or where the branch houses were. The photos in Gene Greene’s book are from 1954 after the sale the hygrade. 

I found a 1923 list of Branch houses and Kingan had some listed in NJ and NYC that could have traveled over the Erie. 

Sigh, boxcars are easier.  Lol. 

Brian J. Carlson 

On Apr 26, 2020, at 5:06 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

I guess it depends on how aggressively Hygrade had General American repaint the Kingan reefers.  I suspect that it would have taken a few years.  You have 5 years between Hygrade's acquisition in 1952 and yoiur year, there might be a few still in Kingan lettering.

Todd Sullivan

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.