Re: Number Change On Kadee Cars

George Eichelberger

Just changing the number on the Kadee Southern boxcars may not be enough!

I’ll skip the details but when I purchased and received one of the cars, I questioned the black ends. That led to a spirited series of emails with Kadee and who I consider to be the “most knowledgable” P-S freight car person.

The conclusion, I believe we all agreed to with the “evidence” available, was that the black paint on the Southern car was NOT specified by the SR. The SR cars were part of a lot of 500 produced by P-S that went to a number of railroads to introduce them to the new car based on P-S components. The P-S specification describes the black ends but the Southern spec for 40’ P-S box cars does not.

As the group of SR cars was very small, specific documentation is hard to find but without saying “never”, I think the odds are very high that ONLY the car produced by Kadee had black ends. Multiple photos in the SRHA files of other cars in the group show only FCR ends. While I realize paint could fade before the photos were taken as many as ten years later, no appreciable color difference can be seen between the car ends and sides. Before the remainder of the (25 car?) group left P-S, I expect they were painted in the Southern freight car brown standard. (I can send a copy of one of the photos if anyone would like to look for themselves.)

Please note…this is NOT a criticism of Kadee! Their work is always amazing and their (Sam’s) attention to detail is first rate. Based on the data in the P-S lot spec, the paint scheme is correct. The model is beautiful and I will have more of them. Maybe Kadee with come out with an undec version, I’ll simply spray the car ends ,or, better yet, Kadee will offer more road numbers without the black ends.

Ike

PS I don’t know how Kadee does it, but I appreciate the fact that their products are (mostly?) made and assembled in the US.