Re: Number Change On Kadee Cars

A&Y Dave in MD

Ike,

Life is full of similar, but just slightly different pursuits. Museums, historians, diorama builders, model builders, and railroad modelers overlap 90-99% and so we focus on the 1-10% differences instead of the commonalities because otherwise we'd just say "yup" and move on.  It's the differences that catch our eye and need explanation.

Thanks for pointing out the history.  That's good to know.  I was also wondering about the black ends, thinking that was not usual Southern practice but trusted Kadee to get it right.  Now we know why they only had one car number.  The Southern has so many (*%&(%^&%()^ unique and "custom" features that it is just a royal pain to model.

The number change was enough for me, since this was out of my era of interest (1934) and I was trying support industry by buying something in Southern from a manufacturer who does quality work.  I got two, because I will run it on the FCSME modular club layout and I hate to have a single car "there goes the Southern boxcar" effect.   I like to have something that is not unique so it better reflects the usual (hundreds if not thousands of similar cars), but having two of the exact same number is going a bit too far in that direction.   Unless, I knew that car was always going to the same industry (in virtual or real captive service), then I wouldn't want a car that is "single instance" on my layout.  It may be historically accurate and interesting, but then it goes on a display shelf or a museum, otherwise it defeats the railroad modeling aspect.  I tend to buy my cars in clusters of 2-15 so I capture the feel of railroading in my necessarily selectively compressed railroad and trains.  It's like each car is a pixel in a photograph.  When that ONE pixel is orange in a field of maroon (go Hokies!), it may be accurate, but it sure distracts.  That is not a complaint about Kadee or about those wanting each car to be a museum quality or high fidelity representation.  It is just my observation and explanation of my hobby choices.

IF this was a '34 era car, I might have spent more time worrying about whether the new number was appropriate, but the 'focus on the fifties' as a 'transition era'  is another issue for another time.

Good discussion!

Dave

--
David Bott