Re: Carnegie Steel built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons

Eric Hansmann

Could it be Cambria Steel? They also built freight cars.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On May 2, 2020, at 1:02 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

I believe it was Carnegie Steel that built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons for their own internal plant use. It was the success of these gons that quickly convinced the railroads to buy similar cars.

These two images linked below illustrate the car CSCO 534 nicely...

As I recall, one of the TSC books had an image of one of these cars, for those in search of yet one more image.

I suspect the CSCO 65 foot gons may not have been used interchange service, and perhaps never left the plant. Can anyone on the list confirm or deny this?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund