Re: Carnegie Steel built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Oh, forgot to mention, the fact that these are the only gondolas listed under Carnegie Steel in this ORER makes me think they may have been intended to be interchanged and used for mainline service, not just for in-plant service.

Claus Schlund

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 6:19 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Carnegie Steel built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons

Hi List Members,

I have some more info on the 65 foot gondola CSCO 534... listed under Carnegie Steel Company, it is part of series 526-537 in the Dec 1930 ORER.

See info at the link below.

In particular, “Note A” references these cars and sez “Cars in series 526 to 537 marked C. S. Co., Homestead Works”. The notes further indicate “Make separate reports for cars marked ‘C. S. Co., Homestead Works’ to Wm. Donald, Auditor, Carnegie Building, Pittsburgh, Pa. June 1930”

Claus Schlund

Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2020 1:10 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Carnegie Steel built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons

Hi Eric and List Members,

The car sez HOMESTEAD WORKS on it, this indicates Homestead Steel Works which was bought up and integrated into Carnegie Steel.

Claus Schlund

Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2020 5:01 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Could it be Cambria Steel? They also built freight cars. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On May 2, 2020, at 1:02 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

I believe it was Carnegie Steel that built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons for their own internal plant use. It was the success of these gons that quickly convinced the railroads to buy similar cars.

These two images linked below illustrate the car CSCO 534 nicely...

As I recall, one of the TSC books had an image of one of these cars, for those in search of yet one more image.

I suspect the CSCO 65 foot gons may not have been used interchange service, and perhaps never left the plant. Can anyone on the list confirm or deny this?

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.