Re: Tank Car Placard Locations

Steve and Barb Hile

Blow up the photo and look at the end car of the string to the right.  It is UTLX 5722 from the same series of cars.  It now has the end safety placard hung from the running board to the right of the couple/center line.

Dave Parker and I had a good discussion of safety placards as I was completing the UTLX book and there is a segment near the end of the book discussing them.  (Shameless plug:  the book is still available from Speedwitch!)  :>)

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 2:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car Placard Locations

And on closer examination, UTLX 5274's current placard is pasted onto the tank on not on a placard board, as I had thought.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Dave Parker via groups.io <spottab@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 3, 2020 1:46 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car Placard Locations

This photo dates to a time (1920) where the requirement for placard holds on tank cars was just being phased in.  Prior, just about anything would do, including pasting a paper placard directly onto the tank as seen here. 

The new regs of 1920 required boards that allowed for the placards to be attached in the "diamond" orientation, but that was about it.  With time, the 1927 ARA standards specified the placard bards be in the more towards the middle of the car.  In October of 1932, the standard called for metal-frame holders that the placard could be dropped into.

I've never seen a standard for where the holders on the car ends needed to be, but they seem to be almost universally to the right of center.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CAa

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.