Re: Carnegie Steel built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons

Eric Hansmann

Two grabs on the left end of the car were not a requirement until 1932-33. New and newly rebuilt cars received the two grabs. There are freight cars that made it into the 1940s with only one grab on the left end.

The other end may seem odd with only one grab but the deep end sill was considered a step, so a grab between the sill step and the one on the car side may not have been required.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On May 3, 2020 at 5:06 PM "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...> wrote:

Hi Dan and List Members,

Dan wrote: “No ladders on right end and left end grabs are insufficient”

These gons were built in the late 1920s. What the safety requirements were at the time regarding right side ladders and end grabs, I cannot say.

The cars are classified as ARA class GM in the ORER, meaning a mill gon with drop ends. I don’t know how the drop end feature may impact the presence (or lack thereof) of end grabs

Others out there have any thoughts on this?

Claus Schlund