Re: Carnegie Steel built some of the earliest 65 foot mill gons

Jack Mullen

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 04:07 PM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
Dan wrote: “No ladders on right end and left end grabs are insufficient”

These gons were built in the late 1920s. What the safety requirements were at the time regarding right side ladders and end grabs, I cannot say.
At that time, and for long thereafter, the U.S. Safety Appliance standards for a low-side gon (sides 36" or less above floor) required only a single horizontal handhold at each end of the side, placed 24" to 36" above coupler centerline. For the ends, horizontal handholds were required on the sill, but handholds were not required on drop ends.  The CSCO car seems to cover the bases.

So, markings meet interchange requirements. Safety appliances meet interchange requirements. The  car is listed in the Equipment Register. It belongs to a steel mill in Pennsylvania, and evidently was photographed in Utah. I'll bet it's in interchange service delivering its owner's steel products.

Jack Mullen