Re: Proto2000 Boxcars

Tim O'Connor

The P2K end door cars are correct for the Southern. P2K mostly kept close to the prototype in their
paint schemes.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/4/2020 4:21 PM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Allen,

Our friend Fenton Wells wrote an article in the November 2012 RMC on kitbashing the Southern cars to 10' IH.

I do not see Southern represented in two RMJ articles on the Lifelike cars by Richard Hendrickson, October 1995 and September 1996.

The 1944 ORER lists three classes of 50' 10' 6' IH double door boxcars with 15' 6" door openings: 40200-40249 (end doors and auto racks), 41500-41549 (end doors, no racks), 42000-42299 (no end doors or auto racks). Curiously, the total number of cars in each group is not filled in, suggesting they were pending delivery when the ORER was printed, though the "denotes additions" triangles are missing.

I have unbuilt Lifelike kit 21027 for Southern 40249, and kit 8419 for 42010. I seem to remember there was something a bit dodgy about these two cars, maybe the sills or something. They do look nice.

The only thing I can add is that I have a copy of a builder's photo of 39969 circa 1947. This car has Superior doors and 4/4 improved Dreadnaught ends.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 3:42 PM Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:
Old subject but my memory is fading for some reason?

Were the P2K boxcars painted for the Southern accurate to any prototype?  I have several plus some undecorated kits that I am finally getting around to.

Thanks,

Allen Cain

Sterling, Massachusetts