Re: Tsunami sound for GN Y-1 (PRR FF2)

Craig Zeni

On May 6, 2020, at 9:13 PM, main@RealSTMFC.groups.io wrote:

1e. Re: Tsunami sound for GN Y-1 (PRR FF2)
From: Daniel A. Mitchell <danmitch@tir.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 21:13:04 EDT

I’l somewhat dispute the sounds. While I never got to see an MILW “Joe” ins service, I did spend some time around the CSS&SB “800s” (don’t call them “Little Joes”). I even got a short ride around the Michigan City yard. The description of the basic noises (compressor and gear noise) are fine, HOWEVER, these things have TREMENDOUS blowers. When hey get hot the thermostatic blowers cut in and ROAR like crazy. They'll blow small rocks around the track, and you cannot talk and be heard near the loco. The blowers are thermostatically controlled and spin up and down as cooling is needed. A “hot” loco parked in the yard would intermittently howl while totally unattended, until it cools off.
I was very disappointed in the decoder quality in the Broadway Limited PRR P5A boxcabs. The sound wasn't good to my ear and it didn't run as well as I would like.

I'm a Loksound user so I went rummaging thru the various European sound files until I found one that I liked...that didn't have modern inverter whine etc. I used the Lokprogrammer software to add an American horn and bell to the sound file, hid the German conductor and station announcements, and loaded it to the decoder. The model runs much much better and sounds pretty good too.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC