Re: Oyster Cars

Bob Chaparro

Bruce Hendrick of Brea, CA, commented:

"To build this car today I would think scratch-building in Evergreen styrene would be far easier than the wood & metal kit in the unlikely event one could be found. Printing the zero perspective Smithsonian photo and the kit instructions diagram to the proper scale provides a workable template.

If I were to build this I would seek out a 36’ gondola or reefer as a donor for floor, underframe, truss-rods, and such. Does anyone make the proper trucks or something close?

A question. I do not recall seeing a North American freight car “numbered” with letters. Can someone explain how these cars came to be A, B, and C?"