Re: -- C&BT Upgrade

Tom Madden

Twenty five or more years ago, when model railroading was still a hobby and not a business, I actually built some models. If you wanted a 12 panel SP B-50-25 back then, the C&BT 12 panel body was the only game in town - but it had to have 6" removed to bring the height down to the correct 10'-0". I did that for one of my last models (and even it was never completed) by carefully sawing off the roof at the eave line, sanding the body down and reattaching the roof. While we all aspire to have everything we build be museum quality, that's not practical. But modeling isn't just about the quality of the model - it's also a demonstration of our skills and craftsmanship. As I look at these photos I see lots of things I could have done differently, or better, but what I really notice is how well I hid the joints where the roof was reattached to the body. Yes, the rivets are oversize and really pop out with light weathering compared to the unweathered IMWX B-50-23 model behind it. Let's remember that this accurate freight car modeling revolution started with people like Dennis and Richard and Tony showing how to improve available models. Updating an older C&BT or Blue Box model is still a great way to develop your modeling skills.

Tom Madden