Re: Latest run of Intermountain (Wegmann) HO PFE Rebuilt Reefers

bill stanton

It also looks to me like the single herald versions of the r-40-19 and r-30-21 are using the incorrect later ("fatter") UP logo dating from about june 1946 whereas the rebuild dates are from march 1946 at least that's what i gather from reading Tony's PFE book...any commentary or correction most welcomed on this as i would otherwise have bought these cars...(interestingly the single herald version of the r-30-18 rebuilt 9-42 looks to have the correct UP logo with the narrower waist)...

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tony Thompson <tony@...>
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 2:55 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Latest run of Intermountain (Wegmann) HO PFE Rebuilt Reefers

Andy Cich wrote:

I haven’t tried to fix it yet. I’m not sure how easy it will be to pry the valve off. Also, the brake cylinder is too far away from the center sill and doesn’t connect to the lever. And the rod that connects between the levers should be inside the center sill. It is in the spot where the cylinder should go.

      The PFE car I just received is the same as Andy's photo. The (rather coarse) chain attached to the brake cylinder is just glued to the center sill, no lever attachment, and the brake rodding is completely mixed up. Obviously quality control not in effect -- they have done a lot of these before.
     At the same time, the rodding errors  won't be visible in operation. The visually disturbing parts are the valve and reservoir being set so far from the floor.

Tony Thompson