Re: Roof photo of a 7000-7099 Swift reefer

Al,

If you can find a copy of John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, v. 3, there are two full-page panorama shots of Swift's Sioux City yard probably taken from the roof of a near-by building, as well as some other Swift cars in ground-level views. While I don't see any obvious 40' wooden cars, there are a number of 37' cars close to the camera which show good roof detail, especially the weathering. It appears that wooden cars in the red scheme had FCR red paint on their roofs, running boards and hatch covers. Most of the paint is gone on nearly every car showing dark gray weathered wood, though there are replacement boards in FCR. I can't find a single wooden car with a batten roof. Most Swift photos in this book are from 1954, and there are still a very few cars in the simple yellow scheme in evidence. Henderson includes a track-level 1961 view of SRLX 1020 in the silver scheme. Sadly, the roof is completely washed out and no details can be seen.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 7:33 PM Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:
I have an old Walthers 40' DS wood reefer with wood ends Swift 932-2428. With all the new 37' reefer models by Rapido, I began researching info on Swift reefers. I found a photo of SRLX 7045 that shows the B end and sides, this is a 40' length series of swift reefers. I think I can kitbash a reasonable model of this series using the Walthers kit. The cars were built in the 1930's so I am assuming they had a wood roof like the 37' Rapido cars. I model 1955 and my 1958 ORER shows there were still 81 cars in existence, so I think this would be car to contrast with the 37' wood and 40' steel Swift reefers in my fleet.

Any help with info on the roofs of these cars would be most helpful.

Thanks

Al Smith
Sonora CA