Re: ID Help With Container Car

Schuyler Larrabee

I have a small (16”long) model cannon that my dad used to fire every once in a while, which used Calcium Carbide as the explosive force.  I don’t know how to use it (which may be just as well , . . 😊 ) but I do remember that it made one hell of a loud bang when it fired.  I don’t remember what the shot was, but I do remember it went a good long way.  I’ve often thought I should let it go but then I worry that somebody would fool around with it and get hurt.

I think that CC can also be used in headlamps used in mines, but not sure about that.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 9:19 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ID Help With Container Car

CALCIUM CARBIDE containers. Not waste, but evidently nasty stuff.

On 5/12/2020 7:08 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:

Friends,

The attached photo of a container car is well beyond our era of interest. I was hoping to learn more about the car itself to see if it would barely scrape into our last year or so.

The car in question is CCKX 281. The only reference I can find to this reporting mark is California 

Contemporary, Inc., which doesn't seem right. I shot this in the SP/UP Roseville yard near the RIP track around 1987. I suspect the car is loaded with toxic waste of some sort.

Any help with the car's origin and who it belonged to would be appreciated.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

Attachments:

_

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.