Re: IC-NRC reefer

Tim O'Connor

I was also going to mention Stan - he offered a huge variety of 'kitbash' kits.

The PFE R-40-27 also had these plug+swing doors but differed in many respects
such as the side panels, riveting, ends, and roof. Challenger imported HO scale brass
models of the R-40-27.

Around the same time period the Northern Pacific got "double hinged" doors as seen
in the attached photo. They were built by PC&F like the PFE R-40-27s and had the
same roof and ends and rivet style as the PFE cars.

On 5/13/2020 4:51 PM, Rich C via groups.io wrote:
Jim, Stan Rydarowicz made kit-conversions of this style, using an Intermountain R-40-23 as a core. As you probably well know Stan passed away several years ago and no one that I know of has his original masters.

Rich Christie

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 03:11:52 PM CDT, Jim King <jimking3@...> wrote:

Has this car been produced in HO?  Diamond emblem is green, roof and ends are reddish-brown, body is dull yellow.  I found a pic of a similar car on the Abingdon Branch hauling “seeding potatoes” in LCL, no refrigeration, just being used for insulation.

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/

Sterling, Massachusetts