Re: Hopper Car Photo

Ben,

When I opened this Westerfield page I noticed the diagonal brace on the models and went elsewhere. Had I scrolled down, I would have seen other examples without the brace. (Oy veh!)

Thanks for the correct ID.

Now the other questions remain for y'all to debate: Whose car is this, and why is at the ACF plant in 1946 (repairs, scrapping, modernizing)?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 6:56 AM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
Garth Groff asked:
"An acquaintance sent me this attached photo taken at ACF's Berwick plant in 1946. Our shared interest is the unusual AC&F "critter". Your interest is more likely to be the unusual hopper car in the rear: channel ribs and pressed-steel Fox-type trucks. Too bad there is no lettering showing. The car is a survivor (probably not for long though), since the trucks suggest it was built around 1900.

I checked the Westerfield pages, thinking this could be the PSC model they offer, but the car in question has a straight sill, while their model has a dropped sill. Can anybody ID the builder of this car?"

David Thompson replied:
"Car is the early Standard Steel Car channel-side design without a separate end sill."

You also quit looking at the Westerfield pages too soon.  The 7400 series hopper kits model the version of these cars with the heavy end sill.

Ben Hom

Attachments: