Re: Kadee code 88 wheels.

Tim O'Connor

I never use Kadee wheels as replacements for wheelsets, but I have decided to keep the 0.088 wheels
that come in the new HGC trucks. I have roll tested them, and they are a HUGE improvement over the old
Kadee metal trucks. For the metal trucks, Reboxx (or similar) wheels are the way to go.

I've also always shined mine up with a Dremel. But I always use a "donor" sideframe to shine them up and
you must be very careful not to let the Kadee wheels "spin" from the Dremel - this will ruin the soft journals
of the Kadee wheels.

Over MANY years of use, Kadee (and other brands of) plastic journals will wear down to the point where
they basically have to be dragged around rather than rolling freely.

All my fat Kadee and Proto wheels end up as replacements for plastic wheels for cars that end up on Ebay.

Tim O'Connor

On 5/14/2020 9:22 AM, Brian Carlson via groups.io wrote:
Thanks Denny and Todd.

Interesting comment on the axle length since I was testing reboxx wheels in the kadee ASF A-3RC truck and the best fitting length was 1.030 or so.

Brian J. Carlson

On May 14, 2020, at 1:11 AM, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

I find the Kadee 88 wheels to be excellent in many ways, not excluding appearance and quality assurance as to gauge, etc.  The blackening will not leave residue on the rails. Shining  the treads certainly looks good, but operationally, it is not necessary.

The axle lengths last measured were a uniform 1.015” (like the current Rapido), but the ends are have currently-unusual thick acetal curved-taper ends.  Unlike most other current high quality metal wheel sets, e.g. IM, Reboxx, Exactrail, Rapido, and (reportedly) Molocco that have straight taper 2mm ends, the combination of acetal (vs. metal), and the thicker ends makes these fine wheels sometimes difficult to adapt effectively to trucks other than Kadee.  I still try to use them as often as I can, but for my purposes (maximum rollability), that is not often as I would like.  I keep  trying, however.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

Sterling, Massachusetts