Re: Distinctive Flat Car Toothpicks Timber Load

A&Y Dave in MD

Jeff,

In the period around the turn of the 20th century, the lack of TV and other media forms led to a lot of that type of banner advertising on the railroads.  I wonder if they were only used for photos, or rolled up and unrolled at various station stops?  I've seen "carload" furniture sale banners, fruit banners, and other goods advertised like this on the sides of steam-only era freight cars.   Modeling something like this in a diorama like scene on a layout would be fun.

I always appreciate when I find an old building with massive solid timber beams.  And having had a chance to visit "Big Trees" State Park in California last year, I have a little feeling of what those forests might have been like.  What's hard to believe is that such old growth forests existed here in the mid-Atlantic coastal states waaay back when.

Thanks for the link.

Dave

Monday, May 4, 2020, 12:49:22 PM, you wrote:

Here’s an amazing early steam era flat car load of “British Columbia Toothpicks”!  From the days when old growth timber was plentiful.  Courtesy Vancouver BC archives site, circa 1893.

https://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/british-columbia-toothpicks-on-car-at-hastings-sawmill

--
Jeff Helm
Bremerton WA