Re: NRC-IC reefer photo

Todd Sullivan

Hi Jim,

Ice reefers were often used as insulated boxcars.  Shipping potatoes and seed potatoes is one example, and shipping beer and other beverages is another.  I think that other uses in off-harvest-season and as back-haul loads from eastern points have been discussed in this list.  I recall as a RR car clerk, checking the Gunderson facility in Portland OR in the winter of 1961-1962, and finding a PFE reefer loaded with nails.  They were in short cartons stacked two high and covered the floor of the car.  Heavy load, low volume!

Todd Sullivan