Re: Distinctive Flat Car Toothpicks Timber Load

Tim O'Connor

Hmm. 1954 photo.

On 5/14/2020 1:20 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:
A&Y Dave iwrote:

In the period around the turn of the 20th century, the lack of TV and other media forms led to a lot of that type of banner advertising on the railroads.  I wonder if they were only used for photos, or rolled up and unrolled at various station stops?  I've seen "carload" furniture sale banners, fruit banners, and other goods advertised like this on the sides of steam-only era freight cars.   Modeling something like this in a diorama like scene on a layout would be fun.

    Such banners were disallowed by the ICC early in the 20th century.

Tony Thompson

Sterling, Massachusetts