From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Thompson
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 1:44 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Distinctive Flat Car Toothpicks Timber Load

Dave Parker wrote:

Tony, can you define "early", and maybe provide an effective date?  There are photos of Swift reefer with banners as late as 1934.  Was there any connection to the billboard reefer ban, or were they independent edicts from the ICC?

         As late as the first decade of the 20th century, posters, banners and notices of all kinds were attached to freight car sides, and I recall that those were banned (i browsed ALL of Railway Age while researching the PFE book) in that period, but I can't remember more specifically.

         Whether one could obtain dispensation for a really special load, I don't know.

Tony Thompson