Re: Rutland House Car Color

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Hi Folks,

Further to what I wrote for Bill Welch too late for me last evening, the color I have used for
all Rutland house cars is Accu-paint AP-59, Iron Oxide. While I cannot find my Tru-Color 
color chart right this moment I'm sure if you called Rich he could tell you what he has that 
matches. Perhaps it would be helpful to note here that while the Rutland was no longer under
NYC control from shortly after the passage of the Panama Canal Act, in 1915 if memory serves,
there was always a friendly and close relationship between the two. Such things even as the 
castings for the lead trucks of the K-1 and K-2 Pacific classes on the Rutland both bore their
NYC cast part numbers cast right into them. I believe it can also be shown that the colors of 
paint used for equipment and rolling stock were also very close to those of the NYC if not ordered
as part of an NYC order for the same color. This did not really change until the rolling smudge pots 
began to arrive in the early 1950's but at least they came from the same locomotive builder. Yes, I 
partial to Alco, and Lima, have little use for EMD and even less for Baldwin.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.