Re: NKP 1944 AAR Boxcar - C&BT Upgrade #3

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 09:43 AM, Jack Mullen wrote:
Tim, I think you're just misinterpreting the photo. Look carefully at the horizontal seam between the end sections and I think you'll see the curvature of the corner. The end looks like a normal IDE.
I agree with Jack. Also, Dreadnaught ends with W section corner posts made use of castings or forgings to terminate the side sills and the Z bar that formed the side plate, and these parts had curvature to match the corner of the end. Both show rather well in this photo, with a highlight on the curved surface of each.

This photo illustrates the fact that not all paint schemes that used black ends painted the entire flange of the end black, since it was easier to mask clear of the rivets. I recall noting on the "square" cornered cars on the Soo Line, the color separation was masked on the little 1" or so radius curve that made the actual corner.

Dennis Storzek