Re: Birmingham Steel Mill Rail Cars

Todd Horton

The C of G used USRA clone gons for pig iron service in Birmingham.  These cars had the sides lowered to limit the amount of material that could be loaded.  These cars were eventually all rebuild with steel sides and floors.   Todd Horton

On May 16, 2020, at 7:33 PM, Allen Cain <Allencaintn@...> wrote:

What type of cars would the Southern have used to bring in iron ore and lime to the blast furnaces operating in Birmingham, AL in the early 1950's?

And which roads owned each type of car typically used?

I was researching the Birmingham Steel Industries during that period but could not find references on the cars.  Hit a dead end but sure that someone on this list is an expert in this subject, at least I hope so!

Thanks,

Allen Cain