Re: Ore car help

Dennis Storzek

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 04:39 PM, Ralph W. Brown wrote:
That center truck was able to slide up to five inches off center.  That’s not all that much in HO scale, but it’s going to take some serious head scratching to figure out how to do that on a model.  If anyone has any ideas along those lines, I’s love to hear them.
It's also likely barely enough for model railroad curves. A quick layout in CAD shows that if the car has twenty foot truck centers between the outer trucks, the center truck needs to displace .053" on an 18" radius curve. That's 4-5/8 inches in HO scale.

Sliding elements are just asking for trouble. I would  build the car with enough clearance around the truck and connect the middle truck to one of he end kingpins with a thin flat drawbar, similar to the way pilot trucks are attached on steam loco models. So long as there is room for the middle truck to bobble around without hitting anything on the car, it will run just fine.

Dennis Storzek