Re: Ore car help

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:44 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
So, Dennis, since you’ve already laid out the basics, what would be the minimum radius for this car if the center truck is limited to a 5” displacement, which I read to mean a total of ten inches overall.
Well, so I finally looked at the drawing of the Erie car for the actual truck centers rather than guessing. They are 11'-2", or 22'-4" over the outer trucks. With a 5" displacement from center line, an arc through all three kingpins is 22.644" radius, and that would allow nothing for kinks and dips, so it seems the cars should track through 24" radius curves. To run on 18" radius track the center truck needs to displace .066", just a shade under six scale inches.

Dennis Storzek