Re: refrigerator car ice hatches

Bob Chaparro

Santa Fe only rebuilt part of the fleet to revise the hatch cover openings and that was done, as I recall, only when the cars were generally rebuilt or upgraded. I do not believe there was any program dedicated to just reconfiguring the hatch covers.
I have photos of cars with their original hatch cover configurations and the large circular herald paint scheme that was initiated in 1959. And these include photos of such cars retired and recycled as sheds in the 1970s, twenty years after the advent of mechanical icing machines.
Attached are photos of cars with their original hatch cover configurations being iced at San Bernardino, Bakersfield and Fresno in the mid-1950s.
Bob Chaparro
Moderator

Railroad Citrus Industry Modeling Group

https://groups.io/g/RailroadCitrusIndustryModelingGroup