Re: Ownership Of Tank Cars In 1950

Tony Thompson

Ian Cranstone wrote:

The list gives one an idea as to just how large the lease fleets (UTLX, GATX, SHPX, NATX, and for Canada, CGTX and TCLX). The ORER has always been a little shaky in tank car information, and frequently doesn’t cover railroad-owned cars — mostly because railroad-owned cars were employed in the service of the railroad, and not generally available for other uses.

    Remember, the ORER didn't seek out anything. Each car owner sent in a report, as often as they thought necessary (some would remain unchanged, with original date, for multiple issues). Whatever the owner sent in, is what was in the ORER. Ordinarily, these were cars in revenue service (the ORER had the status of a tariff document). You cannot expect company service cars to be in there -- unless, as some roads did, a particular railroad CHOSE to include them.

Even the Tank Car Capacities tariff (TCC) overlooks a number of railroad-owned cars — for example, both Canadian National and Canadian Pacific owned a number of tank cars for company use, and none of them were listed in either the ORER or TCC.

       Again, the TCC is a tariff to facilitate charges for car movement. It has nothing to do with cars not in revenue service, and the TCC can hardly be said to "overlook" anything.
        I am sure Ian knows all this, and speaks of these two documents as we modelers see them and their "deficiencies." But let's make sure we remember what those documents WERE.

Tony Thompson