Re: CORRECTED COPY Re: [RealSTMFC] USRA and other rebuilt single sheated box cars

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

Ben Hom wrote:

"The Atlas models with Murphy roof, 8-panel sides, 5/5/5 Murphy ends, and fishbelly underframe are closest to the SL-SF and ACL/C&WC rebuilds; however, the side sills are poorly rendered, with incorrect support brackets and too-shallow relief.  Your call if this bothers you, but at these models' high MSRP (exceeding the Sunshine kits original MSRP and on par with Funaro's current prices), it makes them a poor value".

      Well, maybe. Like so many things in this hobby it depends upon one's opinion. I avoided these cars when they first came out due to negative comments about the bottom of the sides. I agree the support brackets might have been better done as a separate add on part but suggest the relief may be more accurate than Ben is suggesting based on personal observation of one of these cars that wandered around the VTR in work service for some years. The first Sunshine Kit I ever built was one of the ACL versions
of these cars and I was less than impressed compared to ANY Westerfield car of that period. Finally, who pays MRSP for ANYTHING in this hobby? These cars can presently be found on Greedbay for prices as low as $15 each. With patience probably
in the exact roadname you want as well. What I am trying to figure out is why those for some roads have eight panel sides and others have ten panel sides and which roads had which style. Without photo of such cars from each road this is not an easy task, which is the chief reason for my questions about these cars this morning. Atlas, for example, offers the model in GN paint, which I am reasonably certain is a complete "foobie". I can't help but wonder if this is the case for the Sou. Pac. (Tony?) and Wes. Pac. as well as neither road took any USRA double sheathed cars but they might have rebuilt non-USRA double sheathed cars of which I am not aware.

Cordially, Don Valentine