Re: What activity is going on here?

Ray Breyer

Well, it's a non-revenue car, so I'll bet what we're seeing here is a company stores car stopped at a station, unloading company coal to the local depot (those are giant chunks of coal; why pay to have coal broken & washed for employes when they can do it themselves in their ample free time?)

The guy in the suit may be the local agent. More likely, he's just a local coming to watch all the excitement.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Saturday, May 23, 2020, 02:40:58 PM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

I stumbled upon an interesting view which captures a steam era freight car of some sort, a coal conveyor, and two people...

In my mind, there are way more questions than there are answers...

(1) What is the freight car? It appears to have a small window. Work train car? Caboose? Other?

(2) Is the freight car in the process of being unloaded?

(3) There is nothing at the other end of the coal conveyor to receive whatever is being conveyed – what is the story there?

The guy nearest the freight car is holding a shovel, looks like he is going to drop the shovel load onto the conveyor, the other guy in the snappy clothes is not making any meaningful contribution other than supervising (maybe)

Perhaps this entire scene is simply posed for the benefit of the camera, rather than being a real work scene?

Claus Schlund