Re: MWR 1201-1275 series Mather Patent Boxcar help

Mont Switzer

John,

The Muncie & Western (MWR) is a railroad of local interest to those of use in central Indiana.  Because the cars were painted bright yellow and had the Ball canning jar painted on each door so they were well photographed.  I suggest you contact Bob's photo for photos.

I've modeled every sort of MWR boxcar that existed since WWII.  My most recent article on the subject appeared in RMC sometime in 2010.  I believe the article addresses how to build your model.

Regarding what I believe is your older Sunshine resin kit, it can be a rascal to build due to the way Sunshine tells you to build up the side bracing.  I would therefore suggest the following which I believe is addressed in the 2010 article:

-build up the Sunshine car body sides and ends.
-buy a cheap LifeLike stock car kit
-use the LL roof on the Sunshine model
-cut the LL floor and under frame out and fit it on the Sunshine model
-assemble the brake rigging per the LL instructions.  it matches what I have seen for the Mather cars
-cut away and use the vertical and diagonal braces from the stock car sides on the Sunshine car body.  It may be simpler to copy cast the vertical and diagonal braces from the LL model to get what you need.  Neither process is simple
--the LL B end details are pretty good and simpler to install than the Sunshine resin parts.

These suggestions may not be up to your modeling standards or those on this list, but the process is worth your consideration.

Mont Switzer