Bad plastic-was Southern Pacific GS Gondola Question

Andy Carlson

While regrind can contribute to degredation, I believe the problems D.A. had with their gondolas is most likely due to their purchasing poorer quality styrene. Styrene is like lacquer thinner--its recipe can vary quite a bit and as Terry Wegmann shared with me years ago, the better styrenes for freight car models costs appreciably more than the bargain plastics.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

This results from excessive recycling of scrap styrene moldings

DA did use regrind plastic when they did kits and parts. The brittleness runs across their parts line. The handbrake sets also suffer breakage issues.
_._,_._,_