Re: Southern Pulpwood cars

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

Has anyone considered putting a thin layer of plumber's lead between the underframe and the floor? This might mean sacrificing some underframe detail, but should be no problem for empty cars that are operated. Not every car needs to be museum quality.

I remember Richard Hendrickson's mantra for fishbelly gondolas and flat cars, "If you can't see it , don't bother modeling it."

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 1:18 PM milepost 131 <mp131.ghandrews@...> wrote:
Allen,

To model the SU box cars converted has always been an interest/goal of mine  but as I dug into that the "ends" were always a stumble. Many of  those used the Hutchins end. I went so far as to 3D CAD a Hutchins end BECAUSE I too thought...hmmm add it to a flat.... used to be Westerfield sold HO ends for the SU but they were flat (inside.)

BUT the issue was the inside...especially  for an empty pulpwood rack car. Those Hutchins ends showed inside and out with an empty.

And since I model Murphy Branch circa 1942 consists with multiple cars would be typical and ideal. Luckily <g> I'm not modeling Canton so the need for a huge fleet of empties  and loaded  won't be necessary.

I also remember (when pulpwood was shipped) and on at least once occasions watching a "stick" rock off a car. Not going to figure out how to model that. <g>

And as Fenton stated in the article those empty models are  LIGHT.

Gordon Andrews