Re: StLB&M 1944 AAR DD Boxcar - C&BT Upgrade #6

lsittler

Hi Bob- A really nice job to say the least. May I ask if the sources you quote are available, i.e . the Richard Hendrickson articles and the Ed Hawkins spreadsheets? I have a double door C&BT ATSF car that would be great to upgrade like what you have done here. Les

From: Bob Chapman
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:52 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [RealSTMFC] StLB&M 1944 AAR DD Boxcar - C&BT Upgrade #6

Taking the idea of foreign road to an extreme, here's the last (yea!) of the C&BT upgrades from the stash -- a StLB&M double door boxcar. Yes, C&BT offered a DD boxcar carbody as one of their variations, and several interesting prototypes can be modeled from it, including UP, ATSF, CB&Q, SBD, SSW, and B&O. The B&O M-59 would have been a natural choice here, but I already had one courtesy Sunshine Models. So it was off in a very different direction with the StLB&M prototype.

If one overlooks the prototype's 15-foot door opening vs the kit's 14-foot, the kit's postwar Youngstown doors are a decent match. Replacement parts include a Yarmouth Apex runningboard, Tichy 8/8 ladders, and Kadee grabs and brakewheel. The deep sidesill was shaped from .040" x .125" styrene. Decals are Mask Island with leftover StLB&M reporting marks from a Sunshine set (never throw anything away!). Weathering matches the prototype photo -- a heavy layer of Texas dust.

This one completes the six-car pandemic project -- to upgrade the C&BT kits which have languished in the deep stash for four decades. Again, a big posthumous thanks to Richard Hendrickson for the inspirational Model Railroading articles in the late 80s, and to Ed Hawkins for his outstanding spreadsheets simplifying the correct detailing choices.

Bob Chapman

Attachments: