Regarding in-plant service, I only saw them with casting sand piled into them. It appeared they were used as shuttles to bring the sand from the plant out to huge mounds of the stuff, where they were unloaded with a fascinatingly decrepit clamshell bucket crane.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio US

On May 23, 2020, at 4:56 PM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

Makes sense to me.  I can see a number 10 on the car, also.

From what I can see in Eric Neubauer’s builder’s listings.  Pressed Steel car built six 55 ton cars (perhaps hoppers?) in 1920.  Ralston (also in Columbus) built eighteen 70 ton gondolas for BSCCo in 1920 and 12 more in 1930.  Pullman Standard tagged along eight 50 ton, 40’6” seven post gondolas numbered 60-67 to an SP&S order lot 5944, as lot 5944A.

Apparently these were all in captive in-plant service as there are not ORER records that I could find (quickly) for Buckeye Steel.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Parker via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2020 2:37 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Buckeye Steel Transfer Gondola

Steve:

Ahh.  Now I get it it.

Indeed, the history of the Johnstown facility indicates that it was Cambria when this car was built, then briefly Midvale before the Bethlehem acquisition in 1923.

So here's the alternative:  The BSCCo stencil refers Buckeye Steel Castings Company, who produced a wide array of steel (earlier iron) castings for the railroad industry.  It seems this isn't an interchange car as there is no car number.  Perhaps it was built by Cambria for Buckeye to custom specs and/or design.  It is a 70-ton car, not something I think of as being very common in 1912.

That's the best I can come up with in the SWAG department.

Best regards.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA