Re: Cable Reel Loads

Bruce Smith

Likewise and to make it more complicated, cable can be called "wire rope" 😉

What I am interested in are the reels, made of steel, that carried cable or wire.

Regards,
Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...>
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 11:30 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Cable Reel Loads

Schuyler,

I was talking about REELS capable of handling either steel cable or wire like used in communications.  Both are quite heavy.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 12:28 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Clarity, please . . .

Are we talking about reels of steel CABLE or reels of WIRE?

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mont Switzer
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 10:31 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Bruce,

This isn’t the answer you are looking for but it might start you in the correct direction.  Steel cable reels were alive and well in the 1970’s when I hauled them.  What I saw ranged from 6,000 to 15,000 lbs. with wire on them.

It seems like anything less than 5,000 lbs. was prime for wooden reels.

Steel reels were always returned empty.  The wooden ones not so much, but some really good ones were returned.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 9:29 AM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Cable Reel Loads

Folks,

I have some questions about Cable Reels as loads for steam era freight cars. 

I have a Sunshine PRR G27 gondola kit that was packaged with a kit for 18 steel cable reels. I model 1944. When did steel cable reels come into use?

This kit has a nice set of decals for cable reel labels, but when I search GOOGLE, all the steel reels seem to have very little labeling. Indeed, it looks like it might be tough to apply the decals to these reels anyway, since they have ribs on the outside and the only photo photo I have seen with a label (Okonite), has it on a placard attached to the ribs. Were steel cable reels commonly labeled in the steam era? Photos? 

If the decals don't work for the steel reels, I'll repurpose them for the wood reels I have. The decal set included is pretty comprehensive and amazing. Are there other decal sets to label cable reels?

Regards,

Bruce 

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.