Re: Photo: Unloading Gasoline

Dave Parker

Google is our friend.  It took a couple of steps, but that's an LOC FSA pic from WWII that you can find here:

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/fsa/item/2017871450/

The 19 Mb TIFF version has a LOT more detail!

I defer to Steve Hile, but UTLX  19656 seems to be a bit of an oddball.  Steve's 1938 roster indicates these were early 6500-gal X-3 cars, that received new 8000-gal tanks ca. 1930.  Note the tank has four longitudinal  courses, which none of the "conventional" X-3s had.  This might explain the rather curious 1918 build date.

The two cars in front of 19656 both look like UTLX Class X (or XX) cars, 6500 gallons.

Great photo that I had not seen before; thanks for posting Bob.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA